Webinar title: Photography, Storytelling, and Community Connections: How to Develop a Photovoice Project (Register)
- 2:00 PM-3:00 PM (Eastern)
- 1:00 PM-2:00 PM (Central)
- 12:00 PM-1:00 PM (Mountain)
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM (Pacific)
Photovoice is a type of participatory research methodology designed to empower participants through photography and the power of storytelling in small group settings. In 2013, the Chicago Public Library (CPL) partnered with a local organization to start collecting stories from refugees and political asylum seekers about their lives in Chicago. Through photovoice, the participants got connected to their new home town by taking pictures of their daily lives, and in small group settings, they got connected to CPL and to others who have also experienced forced migration. Participants gained broader connections to other Chicagoans through the resulting exhibit and its opening event. This webinar will introduce the project and its methodology, and will help attendees begin to design their own photovoice project.
At the conclusion of this webinar, participants will:
- Understand and define photovoice, a methodology used world-wide to empower and advocate for social change;
- Increase awareness of potential partnerships with local organizations, particularly those involved in social justice work; and
- Gain a roadmap for starting a similar project, including steps for recruiting participants, running photovoice sessions, preparing participants for the exhibit opening, and developing and marketing the exhibit.
Who Should Attend
This webinar is open to everyone interested in exploring issues around programming, outreach, and/or community partnerships. It will be particularly relevant to those with an interest in services for marginalized communities or the role of visual art and storytelling in public libraries.
THIS WEBINAR IS FREE, BUT REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED AND SPACE IS LIMITED. You can register for this webinar until it begins, or until space is no longer available, whichever comes first. Please do not register unless you are sincere about attending the live webinar. Space is limited, and signing up and not attending may deprive someone else of the opportunity. Thank you for your cooperation.
How to Register
REGISTER NOW! On the next screen you’ll click “Register” to continue the online registration process.